Friday, August 13, 2010

Diggin' now... (again)... TWDY - Players Holiday


"I'm just sittin' here timin' like a Rolex watch..."

These days, I don't have a car of my own -- I got these bikes though! So, anyway, last night when I borrowed a vehicle from my parents I was without the usual iPod adapter or selection of CDs that I would most likely have in my own car. For a minute, this was disappointing. But, then I went digging through the glove box and center console for something to listen to.

I found a host of mixes I made circa 2003 - 2005, basically from the point I got my drivers license through graduating from high school.

Perhaps, the best find was the song in the video above: TWDY, which stands for The Whole Damn Yay and the classic track 'Players Holiday' featuring Mac Mall, Otis & Shug and..... Too Short (!). The song begins with a reference to the, shall we say, less consequential affairs of the Bill Clinton presidency. The artists' astonishment that he got away with it leads them to deem this day, OF ALL THE DAYS, "Players Holiday," and the song unfolds from there.

Oh, and it includes one of my favorite lines of all time: "I'm just sittin' here, timin' like a Rolex watch."

Maybe it's nostalgia, or maybe it's a really great song -- probably the former. But, on a day like today, it seemed appropriate. And, well, here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment