Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Obligatory (and cliche) St.Patrick's Day post



As someone who is a full 25 percent -- maybe a bit less -- Irish, I've never really felt a strong connection to St. Patrick's Day. Sure, I like the green beer -- and beer, generally -- and coming from St. Paul, MN it's essentially a city holiday heavy on the drinking and light on... well, most everything else, including the working.

But I've never really identified as Irish, and I'm not really sure why. I guess part of it is that I refuse to choose to identify with an ethnic group most known, 364 days of the year, for leprechauns, pale skin, red hair and freckles. I've always edged closer to my Italian and Czech side... and I appreciate the humble and altruistic reputation of my Norwegian background.

But this is the one day a year where Irish culture -- Americanized and lacking in actual 'Irish' or 'culture' as it is -- is looked upon somewhat favorably. In honor of that, here's this song. If you've seen The Departed, you'll recognize it. And it kind of makes part of me wish I was more Irish... and a gangster.... in South Boston... maybe just for a day. If you haven't seen it, and you don't think Irish people can be bad ass -- yes, bad ass -- then let this be a lesson to you. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment